Feldmann Engineering & Mfg. Co. Inc. began in 1950 in a cheese factory building near Plymouth, WI. Started by Marvin H. Feldmann as a proprietorship, the business was incorporated in 1968.
Over the years, Feldmann developed a variety of outdoor product solutions, including those for the running gear of farm wagons, farm bale elevators, rotary garden tillers, and snowmobiles. The company's history has also included transmissions for home washing machines and soft serve ice cream machines, along with go-carts, hydraulic tiller gear cases, and hand ice drills.
Of course, an engine-powered drill was developed for the ice fishing application in 1951, and continues today as the principal product sold by the company.
The idea of an engine-powered drill for ice fishing began with one of Marvin Feldmann's fellow Plymouth Wisconsin Fire Department members in 1948.
This friend was a truck driver, often delivering and picking up products from Lauson Engine Company in New Holstein, WI. (Lauson was later re-named Tecumseh Power Products.)
He had purchased an engine from Lauson Engine Company, and as an avid ice fisherman, he endeavored to build a rig that could cut through the lake ice with power.
His efforts were ultimately met with failure, but he knew Marvin Feldmann had started a business and possessed good mechanical ability and ingenuity. He discussed his goal with Marvin, who agreed to give it a try.
Though it didn't happen right away, after several tries and experiments, Marvin finally succeeded in creating a product that could cut through the ice with engine power, and in a reasonable fashion. In other words...in a Jiffy.